What exactly does being a certified Maestro mean?
For many years, street painters have demonstrated their skills and talents. A certification system has been established in Italy to recognize the three levels of skill and proficiency. Likewise, the FCAA has established a certification-recognition system with three levels for its members:
SEMPLICE (APPRENTICE) - Student – entry level
• Beginning street painter, chalk artists
• Participate in 5 street painting festivals or events as part of a group or solo.
• Attend street painting demonstrations or classes.
• Produce artworks of people or nature (landscape, animals, seascape, plants)
QUALIFICATO (QUALIFYING ARTIST)
• Participate in a total of 10 street painting festivals or events; 7 as a solo artist.
• Provide a program or demonstration on the art of street painting.
• Write an article or column for an art publication or newsletter covering street painting techniques, events, or observations about the art form.
• Demonstrate an understanding of gridding, pouncing, and/or freestyle street painting techniques.
• Produce artworks from an original composition and a portrait (facial image)
MAESTRO (MASTER ARTIST)
• Qualify as an apprentice and qualified artist (meet those requirements).
• Participate in 15 street painting festivals or events, 12 or more as a solo artist.
• Participate in at least one Large Festival similar or equal to Disney Masters of the Arts Street Painting Festival. (Lake Worth Street Painting Festival / Sarasota Chalk Festival)
• Provide educational programs, instruction, or demonstrations of street painting.
• Receive an award in a festival of 30 or more street painting artists.
• Produce street paintings in 3 of 5 categories such as a master reproduction, portrait, landscape, still life, abstract, impressionistic, black and white, or pop art as part of your entries to demonstrate your skills and proficiency.
So needless to say I feel pretty accomplished having completed everything above. It is something I have been working on for a few years, meeting most of the qualifications but just needing to participate in certain festivals to achieve it. I guess now I will have to pick a new goal…